GUI applications writing garbage to stdout/stderr

François Cami fdc-lists at fcami.net
Wed Jan 14 11:00:49 UTC 2015

Hello,

On Wed, Jan 14, 2015 at 11:22 AM, Marcel Oliver
<m.oliver at jacobs-university.de> wrote:

> Many GUI applications write garbage to either stdout or stderr, making
> the terminal windows difficult to view and navigate.
(...)
> Some of the main culprints for me are nemo, evince, and okular; if I
> am go looking, I can probably find many more.  The only well-behaved
> application I know is libreoffice.
>
> Are these considered bugs that I should file against the package?

Quoting https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Staying_close_to_upstream_projects
: "The Fedora Project focuses, as much as possible, on not deviating
from upstream in the software it includes in the repository. " - and
patching upstream software to not write to stdout or stderr would be
such a change, IMHO.

I would therefore file bugs at upstream bug report tools, not against
Fedora packages.
For instance, in evince's case, see
https://wiki.gnome.org/Apps/Evince/ReportingBugs

Best regards,