Content of change announcements Was:F22 System Wide Change: RpmOstree - Server side composes and atomic upgrades

Jaroslav Reznik jreznik at redhat.com
Wed Jan 14 11:45:24 UTC 2015

----- Original Message -----
> On Tue, Jan 13, 2015 at 3:27 PM, Miloslav Trmač <mitr at redhat.com> wrote:
> >> Jaroslav, there is a lot more information on the actual wiki page.
> >> Like the fact that this is only for particular opt-in new installs and
> >> that yum/dnf/RPM can only operate in read-only mode on such installs.
> >> Could you resend this with the entirety of the text?  It might lead to
> >> fewer questions.
> >
> > This is being sent to devel-announce, so should not overwhelm people who
> > are not interested.  That’s why it includes the basic description (to let
> > you decide whether you are interested) and the Scope section (to let you
> > check whether this will, through the “Other developers” bullet point,
> > place demands on you).  It is somewhat important that everybody reads
> > these parts; wouldn’t including the full page drown these parts out?
>
> No.  People can stop reading wherever they'd like.  Omitting relevant
> information from the actual Change page makes it rather difficult to
> _discuss_ the Change on the devel list, which is the main reason they
> are sent.  Doing the discussion on the wiki is terrible.  I would much
> rather be able to quote the sections via email.

Actually it was Mitr who asked me first to add more parts into email
announcement but then we talked about it - and I think current way is
a good compromise - to give overview of change but not to overload
people with two many details. Also it really depends on how change is
filled, usually detailed description and scope are that parts really
needed to do the decision/get overview of changes in detail. With more
aim on contingency plans, I can add contingency plan section. By these
three, you have covered 95% of content of standard changes. Let's try
it.

You can easily copy excerpt from wiki to the email and start that
discussion, wiki for discussion is not needed (and really very bad
place to do so).

Btw. it's my opinion, if more people would like to see the whole
change page announced, I'll do it. Or any other ideas in the way
how announcement is structured...

Jaroslav