F22 System Wide Change: GCC5

Jakub Jelinek jakub at redhat.com
Wed Jan 14 12:44:37 UTC 2015

On Wed, Jan 14, 2015 at 01:34:26PM +0100, Dan Horák wrote:
> On Wed, 14 Jan 2015 12:53:18 +0100
> Jaroslav Reznik <jreznik at redhat.com> wrote:
>
> > = Proposed System Wide Change: GCC5 =
> > https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Changes/GCC5
> >
> > Change owner(s):  Jakub Jelínek <jakub at redhat.com>
> >
> > Switch GCC in Fedora 22 to 5.x.y, rebuild all packages with it.
> >
> > == Detailed Description ==
> > GCC 5 is currently in stage3, but in 3 days will move to stage4, in prerelease
> > state with only regression bugfixes and documentation fixes allowed. The release
> > will happen probably in the first half of April. We are working on scratch gcc
> > rpms and will perform a test mass rebuild. Other distributions have performed
> > test mass rebuilds already.
>
> on what architectures and with which results? How can we help to avoid
> issues with s390, ppc or aarch64 like we saw with gcc 4.9 and s390?

Depends on what kind of issues.  If it is something detected during the mass
rebuild (ICEs, failures in package testsuite), you can gain a few days/weeks by
doing a test mass rebuild on the arches where you fear that (the plan was to do
just x86-64 test mass rebuild ourselves); the question is if there is beefy
enough hardware with spare cycles for that.
If it is something that can be detected only when running the distro, then
somebody would need to also install and try the test mass rebuilt distro, or
just let stuff be fixed after mass rebuild.  If there are GCC bugs that need
to be resolved, the better bugreports the less time we need to spend on
testcase reduction and analysis and the more we can spend on actual bug
fixing.

	Jakub