F22 System Wide Change: RpmOstree - Server side composes and atomic upgrades

Kevin Kofler kevin.kofler at chello.at
Thu Jan 15 22:20:36 UTC 2015

Jaroslav Reznik wrote:
> = Proposed System Wide Change: RpmOstree - Server side composes and atomic
> upgrades =
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Changes/RpmOstree
>
> Change owner(s): Colin Walters

I don't see the advantage of supporting this primitive "take it or leave it"
approach to installing and updating Fedora at all.

As a user, by using those precomposed images, you lose the ability to :
* customize your installation by adding/removing packages (and if it were
  not prevented, the customizations would not persist across updates),
* update individual packages,
* get new updates (including security fixes) as soon as they hit the
  mirrors, without waiting for a new OS tree compose (every extra step in
  the process unavoidably introduces a delay),
* get individual packages from updates-testing or directly from Koji,
* use packages from third-party repositories, unless they respin the entire
  OS tree for you,
* save bandwidth by downloading the packages that changed, or even only the
  deltas of the actual change (delta RPMs),
etc.
You gain… nothing!

I don't see what's wrong with "dnf -y update" as an updating mechanism.

As developers, we have to spend our valuable time on making our packages
work with this technically inferior delivery system (see the "/var"
discussion) that has no practical benefit whatsoever over the existing
package-driven system.

        Kevin Kofler