GUI applications writing garbage to stdout/stderr

Björn Persson Bjorn at xn--rombobjrn-67a.se
Fri Jan 16 09:50:30 UTC 2015

Kevin Kofler wrote:
>I'm with you, debugging spam needs to go away, GUI applications have
>no business writing anything at all to the console, ever.

Except when they have really serious errors.

I once had an X problem that prevented Openoffice from working. It
showed no window, output nothing, and terminated immediately with an
exit code of zero. In other words it behaved just like the command
"true". That's going a bit too far.

(I wrote a bug report and was told that Openoffice was fixed to write
an error message and return an error code.)

--
Björn Persson