Orphaned: python-html2text and rss2email

Michael Schwendt mschwendt at gmail.com
Sun Jan 18 19:46:42 UTC 2015

Eventually I had taken over

  python-html2text
  rss2mail   (depends on python-feedparser)

and have used them for a long time. Now it's time to move on.

The author of html2text has died two years ago. There are various forks
with different versioning schemes. There's also a new upstream for
rss2email. It has changed to use Python 3 and is incompatible with the
config and data files from the older release as packaged in Fedora.
From time to time I've had a look at upgrading. With mixed results.
My latest attempt has been today in reply to a new bz ticket RFE.

  https://mschwendt.fedorapeople.org/rss2email-3.9-1.fc21.src.rpm
  https://mschwendt.fedorapeople.org/python-html2text-3.200.3.2014.12.29-1.fc21.src.rpm

Upon evaluating the builds, my old feed setup has been broken, and I've
reconfigured for another try and using Debian's r2e-migrate script.
Doing that I also spent some time on cleaning up procmail folders for
several feeds. That's when I decided I don't want to use rss2email
anymore. I'll probably evaluate claws-mail-plugins-rssyl for sporadic
usage.

There may or may not be any active co-maintainers. Please visit Fedora
pkgdb if you're interested in these packages. Signing up for python-feedparser
would be an idea, too.