F22 System Wide Change: Harden all packages with position-independent code

Jakub Jelinek jakub at redhat.com
Mon Jan 19 12:41:16 UTC 2015

On Mon, Jan 19, 2015 at 01:37:29PM +0100, Florian Weimer wrote:
> On 01/19/2015 01:15 PM, Jakub Jelinek wrote:
>
> >No, because you need GCC 5 for that (ok, have scratch rpms now for that),
> >and very recent binutils (2.25 we have in F22 is not enough).
>
> Ugh, this seems to suggests to defer the PIE change to Fedora 23. :-(

As F22 mass rebuild has been denied by FESCO, that is given anyway.

> Would it still make sense to proceed with SSE2 and the off_t/ino_t change?

-msse2 is discussion whether it is worth it.  In RHEL7 we default to that,
but in Fedora, given the whole i?86 port is kind of legacy/obsolete now
anyway, it might be undesirable.
And, making _FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64 the default?  How do you turn it off?  It
is an ABI change.  IMHO very much undesirable.  Just complain to people that
build their packages without it where it matters.

	Jakub