F22 System Wide Change: Harden all packages with position-independent code

Gerd Hoffmann kraxel at redhat.com
Mon Jan 19 14:28:40 UTC 2015

  Hi,

> > Would that make it impossible to run fedora on sse-only i686 CPUs?
>
> Yes, but test coverage for those CPUs is already rather poor, so I don't
> expect them to work anymore.

See other replies, people are running such machines.

Given x86_64 exists for many years and even embedded (see aarch64) is
moving to 64bit these days i386 clearly is for old legacy hardware.  If
you need performance you don't run a i386 machine.

So, why bother raising the bar for i386 by requiring more cpu features?
It doesn't help anyone.

cheers,
  Gerd