F22 System Wide Change: Harden all packages with position-independent code

Reindl Harald h.reindl at thelounge.net
Mon Jan 19 14:42:30 UTC 2015

Am 19.01.2015 um 15:28 schrieb Gerd Hoffmann:
>>> Would that make it impossible to run fedora on sse-only i686 CPUs?
>>
>> Yes, but test coverage for those CPUs is already rather poor, so I don't
>> expect them to work anymore.
>
> See other replies, people are running such machines.
>
> Given x86_64 exists for many years and even embedded (see aarch64) is
> moving to 64bit these days i386 clearly is for old legacy hardware.  If
> you need performance you don't run a i386 machine.
>
> So, why bother raising the bar for i386 by requiring more cpu features?
> It doesn't help anyone.

"rpmrc" has optflags: for different architectures

so why not optimize only "optflags: x86_64" for more recent hardware?
since i686 is a complete different build anyways it won't matter

on my private builders it's "-mmmx -msse2 -msse3 -msse4.1 -msse4.2 -maes
-mfpmath=sse" for a long time and will become "-mavx -mfpmath=avx" after
replace the oldest servers from 2010 with SandyBridge or newer based
Xeons this year (any workstations are SandyBridge/IvyBrdige already) and
"-march=corei7-avx -mtune=corei7-avx" too