python-dateutil update

Pierre-Yves Chibon pingou at pingoured.fr
Mon Jan 19 14:44:01 UTC 2015

On Mon, Jan 19, 2015 at 08:27:07AM -0500, Stephen Gallagher wrote:

> On Sun, 2015-01-18 at 14:35 -0700, Pete Travis wrote:

> > upstream
> > installer,

> > > You can just install the python-dateutil-2.* package and test away ;)
> > >
> > > Looking at the list and your annoucement mail again, I wonder if it
> > > might be better to bump python-dateutil to 2.2 again as soon as the
> > > updated python-dateutil15 is available, and simply modify packages
> > > which either explicitly depend on dateutil < 2 or exhibit problems to
> > > depend on python-dateutil15. Proven packagers can do that trivially if
> > > necessary. Otherwise this could drag on for months.
> > >
> > > fedocal and python-django-tastypie are the only packages which
> > > explicitly require python-dateutil < 2. If you wish, I can volunteer
> > > file bugs to change the dependency for F21 and rawhide for those two
> > > packages and do it myself after a week if the maintainers don't
> > > respond or are fine with the change (got to use those provenpackager
> > > privs for something :)).
> > >
> > > Zbyszek
> >
> > Okay, I finally have things in motion here.... python-dateutil15 in
> > rawhide is usable as described and an update for F21 will be available
> > soon. Provenpackage at will :)
> >

> Please, *DO NOT* push incompatible updates to Fedora 21. This is not
> acceptable. Python-dateutil 2.x is incompatible with nearly all packages
> that use 1.5. Treat this like you would a SOName bump in a C package.

That's not quite true.
dateutil was py2 only up to 1.5, then they released 2.0 announcing it would be
py3 only which they later changed back so that the 2.2+ (maybe even 2.1)
versions are both compatible with py2 and py3.
So the latest version of python-dateutil are pretty much compatible with all
packages that use/used 1.5. I have not checked completely but for all
the programs which I have that relies on dateutil the API didn't change.

So, while it should be handled carefully, I do not consider it to be
'incompatible with nearly all packages that use 1.5'.

Pierre