F22 System Wide Change: Login Screen Over Wayland

drago01 drago01 at gmail.com
Tue Jan 20 11:45:52 UTC 2015

On Tue, Jan 20, 2015 at 12:32 PM, Jaroslav Reznik <jreznik at redhat.com> wrote:
> = Proposed System Wide Change: Login Screen Over Wayland =
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Changes/Login_Screen_Over_Wayland
>
> Change owner(s): Ray Strode <rstrode at redhat.com>
>
> Change the Login screen that GDM uses to run on Wayland instead of X.
>
> == Detailed Description ==
> At the moment, a user can choose to log in to a Wayland session from the login
> screen, but the login screen itself always runs on top of X. The point of this
> change is to change that, and make the login screen always run on a Wayland
> session.
>
> == Scope ==
> * Proposal owners: The main things that need be accomplished are:
> ** Change GDM to not start an X server at startup, instead run the login
> screen in Wayland mode
> ** Change X based user sessions to run on their own VT, since they can no
> longer piggyback off the login screen VT
> ** Come up with some answer for proprietary Nvidia driver users, since that
> stack doesn't yet support Wayland.  One idea is to force the login session to
> use software-based mesa if the proprietary Nvidia driver is detected.

I don't think this part is as simple that. For a wayland session to
work we need a working gbm and for that some kind of drm driver ...
for that we could use simpledrm (if it ever got upstream) but not sure
whether it can run when the nvidia driver is loaded. I can't test that
anymore because my nvidia card is dead .... the other idea would be
"fall back to X" but not sure how much work that would be.