F22 Self Contained Change: Database Server Role

Reindl Harald h.reindl at thelounge.net
Tue Jan 20 14:37:41 UTC 2015

Am 20.01.2015 um 15:28 schrieb Stephen Gallagher:
> On Tue, 2015-01-20 at 08:03 -0600, Chris Adams wrote:
>> Once upon a time, Jaroslav Reznik <jreznik at redhat.com> said:
>>> The Fedora Server Product will provide a standard deployment mechanism for a
>>> Linux Database Server (powered by the postgresql project).
>>
>> How about just calling this the PostgreSQL Server role?  Why should this
>> get the generic "database" name (what if the MariaDB maintainers want to
>> make a Database Server as well for example)?  No matter the engine,
>> users have to know what they are connecting to; there is no generic
>> "talk to the database server" protocol, so I don't see a reason to try
>> to make a generic database server role.
>
> The intent is that we plan to offer one "official" Database Server Role
> for Fedora Server. By electing to use the generic name, we provide a
> subtle indication that this is the one that you should code against. A
> MariaDB or MySQL Role is certainly welcome, but by a strong majority
> vote in the WG, we picked PostgreSQL as the technology that Fedora
> Server will be backing directly. Thus, it gets to have the generic name.
>
> One of the core focuses of Fedora Server is to simplify things. It's
> meant to help less-experienced users of Linux get up and running with
> common activities more quickly. Providing the "PostgreSQL" role and the
> "MariaDB" role means that we've forced the user to do additional
> research to figure out what they want. However, if we name one "Database
> Server", we are implicitly telling the user: "use this one, unless you
> have a specific need"

you think you do "less-experienced" users a favor with postgresql?

the hundrets of MySQL databases i am responsible for are mostly origined
in MySQL 3.x times, moved from Windows over OSX to Linux and seamless
upgraded up to MariaDB 10 with any dump/restore

postgresql is not *that* easy to handle hence i gave even up my
playground for it long ago