IntelliJ

Mikolaj Izdebski mizdebsk at redhat.com
Wed Jan 21 05:57:57 UTC 2015

On 01/20/2015 09:41 PM, Greg Hellings wrote:
> I'm curious about the possibility of bringing IntelliJ/IDEA back into
> Fedora. It was there previously, then was taken out sometime around
> Fedora 15 or thereabouts. Back then the app was at version 9, it's
> currently landed at version 14. With the announcement of Gradle making
> an improved landing in Fedora 22, it might be possible to bring back
> in. I was curious if anyone had a particular feeling strongly one way
> or another, or if there were solid reasons not to resurrect it.
>
> It looks like it was a behemoth to maintain, so I don't know how
> deeply I want to dive into it (the build involved a large number of
> bundled jars) at this time. I just wanted to put out feelers regarding
> it.

AFAIK IntelliJ was retired because it lacked interested people to
maintain it.  If there is someone (or better, group of people) willing
to maintain, then I don't see a reason why it shouldn't be revived.

There was some interest from a few people to have PyCharm (Python IDE
based on IntelliJ) in Fedora, see [1]. You may want to join forces with
them to make this happen.

People in Java SIG (including myself) are usually quite busy with their
current packages, but you can count on help with package reviews and
solving problems you may encounter.

In any case you may add IntelliJ to Java SIG package wishlist [2] or ask
for volounteers on java-devel mailing list.

[1]
https://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/java-devel/2014-July/005297.html
[2] https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/SIGs/Java#Package_Wishlist

--