Python 3 as a Default - Status

Daniel P. Berrange berrange at redhat.com
Wed Jan 21 09:50:37 UTC 2015

On Tue, Jan 20, 2015 at 08:22:25AM -0500, Bohuslav Kabrda wrote:
> Hi all,
> since the "Python 3 as a Default" change [1] has been accepted a while ago and is scheduled for F22, I'd like to share with you the status.
>
> The proposed change [1] mentions several goals that should be reached to pronounce python3 the "default":
> 1) DNF is the default package manager instead of Yum, which only works with Python 2
> 2) Python 3 is the only Python implementation in the minimal buildroot
> 3) Python 3 is the only Python implementation on the LiveCD
> 4) Anaconda and all of its dependencies run on Python 3
> 5) cloud-init and all of its dependencies run on Python 3

> 5) cloud-init is a problem. Basically, Python 3 cloud-init is the only thing
> blocking the cloud images (*). Other packages are ready or being worked on.
> The problem here is that cloud-init upstream is really unresponsive about
> Python 3 porting (patch is submitted in their bug tracker [3]) - if someone
> knows these people, please help us by pinging them.

> [3] https://code.launchpad.net/~harlowja/cloud-init/py2-3/+merge/225240

I forwarded this request to Red Hat's openstack team to see if anyone
there has contacts with the cloud-init maintainers. I've heard back
that Ubuntu is in the same boat, also wanting a python3 compatible
cloud-init in the near future. The author of the patch you mention
is actually a cloud-init maintainer so could merge stuff himself,
but he really needs others to review his patches before doing that.
None the less, it sounds like there might be a bit of interest and
movement upstream to try to get this porting work finished.

Regards,
Daniel