amending the new package process

Nikos Mavrogiannopoulos nmav at redhat.com
Wed Jan 21 10:49:49 UTC 2015

Hi,
 I've added few packages last year using the new package process:
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/New_package_process_for_existing_contributors

I'm not sure which fedora body (FPC or FESCO) is responsible for this
document, that's why that mail is sent here. In all cases, I'm
interested on other's feedback on that issue.

My experience with the new package process is that the review process in
Step 6 doesn't work. For some of my packages it took 3 months for a
reviewer to appear, some others more, some where reviewed faster. My
understanding is that it depends on how interesting the package is, how
many packagers you know, or whether you enter the review swap market.

In the first case I speculate it would be easier to review popular
end-user applications, in the second we make reviews possible only for
people who can ask other packagers for the review, and the latter
requires someone who brings a new package to do extra work. I've tried
all of these, and don't like any of them.

I don't have a solution to bring extra resources to reviewing (which
will be the ideal), but I'd like to propose an amendment to allow
bringing packages even if no reviewers are available (the typical case).

Step 6: ... If the proposed package is not reviewed for 2 months, the
package must be reviewed by the submitter, and a git module with the
master branch will be approved.

That is packages which are self reviewed will be added in the next
fedora release, but not the current or previous ones.

I don't like it, as it still sucks, but sucks much less from having a
list a long list such as:
http://fedoraproject.org/PackageReviewStatus/NEW.html

regards,
Nikos