F22 System Wide Change: Bare Metal Installer for Fedora Atomic Host

Jaroslav Reznik jreznik at redhat.com
Wed Jan 21 11:49:38 UTC 2015

= Proposed System Wide Change: Bare Metal Installer for Fedora Atomic Host =
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Changes/Bare_Metal_Atomic

Change owner(s): Joe Brockmeier <jzb at fedoraproject.org>, Ian McLeod
<imcleod at redhat.com>

To produce a bare metal installer suitable for installing Fedora Atomic Host
22 on "bare metal" (e.g., directly on a server rather than running on top of
some kind of cloud or virtualization).

== Detailed Description ==
In Fedora 21 we shipped Fedora Atomic Host as an AMI for use in Amazon EC2,
and as a qcow2 suitable for use with OpenStack, KVM, etc.

For Fedora 22 we wish to expand the coverage of Fedora Atomic Host to make it
installable on "bare metal" so users are able to run Atomic Host directly on a
server, workstation, etc. without the need for a cloud or virtualzation layer
underneath the host.

== Scope ==
* Proposal owners: Work with rel-eng to add bare metal support. The patches
should be in Anaconda already, it should mostly be a matter of producing the
builds via Koji.

* Other developers: May require some coordination with Anaconda folks.

* Release engineering: Work with Cloud Working Group to turn on support for
bare metal builds, add bare metal to regularly produced builds.

* Policies and guidelines: No obvious impact.

== Contingency Plan ==
* Contingency mechanism: If not ready, will not ship for Fedora 22.
* Contingency deadline: Beta freeze.
* Blocks release? No.
* Blocks product? No.