DNF as default package manager

Jan Zelený jzeleny at redhat.com
Wed Jan 21 12:13:51 UTC 2015

On 21. 1. 2015 at 11:13:28, Peter Robinson wrote:

> >> There is a difference between « it works just fine for me » and « it
> >> works to build the distro »
> >>
> >> The latter needs much more testing and guarantees than the former,
> >> although the former is certainly encouraging.
> >
> > If somebody says "I certainly don't think it's ready to be default for
> > mock yet.", I expect him to have strong evidence that something is
> > wrong, not that something needs more testing.
>
> If somebody says that it's ready to go I would expect them to have
> used mock to rebuild the entire distribution and prove that it works,
> preferably twice actually once as an initial run from the original yum
> builds, then again with dnf for a second run and prove, with
> statistics to show that installs of said bits end up with the same
> reproducible results for things like Workstation/Server/Minimal etc
> installs.
>
> The onus in Fedora has _ALWAYS_ been to prove that the new feature is
> complete and ready to replace the existing working solution, not for
> everyone else to prove that it's not.

I'm not so sure about that. Off the top of my head, I can think of rpm-4.12,
UsrMove and systemd - those were neither proven flawless, nor they have been
without issues when deployed. I bet there was at least one major change in
each Fedora that was not flawless when accepted.

> Given the number of issues I see reported with dnf regarding dependencies

Obviously different depsolver = different results. Some of them for the better,
some of them for the worse. But those that are proven problematic are baing
taken care of continuously.

> current kernels being removed

This was fixed almost a year ago

> and other such issues

Name them please. Or better yet, report them.

Thanks
Jan