F22 System Wide Change: GNOME 3.16

Paul Wouters paul at nohats.ca
Wed Jan 21 16:46:48 UTC 2015

On Wed, 21 Jan 2015, Igor Gnatenko wrote:

> On Wed, Jan 21, 2015 at 2:41 PM, Jaroslav Reznik <jreznik at redhat.com> wrote:
>> = Proposed System Wide Change: GNOME 3.16 =
>> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Changes/GNOME3.16

>> Update GNOME to the latest upstream release, 3.16.

>> ** Follow upstream module changes

Actually, I've ran into a few cases now where upstream has removed
essential workflow features and I think we should make it clear to
upstream that we are deviating from them unless they re-focus on user
freedom. For example:

1165244 - gnome-terminal no longer supports user selectable word-chars
1174918 - regresion: right-click in gnome-terminal no longer offers "open new tab" option

The bugs link to upstream bugs "justifying" the removal of these features.

Other bugs are simply talking way too long, for example f19 works fine
with tripple clicking to select a whole line, but fedora20/21 fail:

1180987 - triple-clicking select-line in white space selects an additional unrelated line

Why do regressions that affect the daily user experience take over a year to fix ?
(the bug was only filed recently, but been clearly affecting people since f20)

On the plus side, the "search command window" has seen improvements and it got
much better at picking the right application (for "printer", "display", "network")
etc)

But in the end, I'm currently still running an EOL fedora19 on my main
machine because fedora21 gnome3 is simply too much user experience
regression affecting my work flow. Especially the two bugs above
where upstream indicated it is a feature, not a bug, to remove
something people depend upon, will actually require us to deviate from
upstream.

Is there a way where we as fedora community can convey that to the gnome
project without this ending up in mud fights flamewars or threats?

Paul