F22 System Wide Change: GNOME 3.16

Olav Vitters olav at vitters.nl
Wed Jan 21 16:59:12 UTC 2015

On Wed, Jan 21, 2015 at 11:46:48AM -0500, Paul Wouters wrote:
> Actually, I've ran into a few cases now where upstream has removed
> essential workflow features and I think we should make it clear to
> upstream that we are deviating from them unless they re-focus on user
> freedom. For example:
[..]

I'd suggest to phrase that slightly differently, instead of "re-focus"
say something like "also focus". This as the focus is often mainly at
making things work by default / automatically. Similarly, user freedom
could be seen as GPL (guaranteed source code availability). E.g. I find
it important that anyone can see the source code and could theoretically
modify it. Because of those things, "also focus" to ensure discussion is
different.

> Is there a way where we as fedora community can convey that to the gnome
> project without this ending up in mud fights flamewars or threats?

One on one discussions with the various designers help. Secondly there
is a lack of testing (usability/user experience). It is often discussed
at various conferences and every so often testing is taking place. If
someone puts in effort to perform usability testing that person will
likely gain a lot of respect. Respect leads to influence.

--
Regards,
Olav