IntelliJ

Greg Hellings greg.hellings at gmail.com
Wed Jan 21 18:06:15 UTC 2015

Thanks for the feedback, guys.

On Tue, Jan 20, 2015 at 4:55 PM,  <devel-request at lists.fedoraproject.org> wrote:

> Message: 10
> Date: Tue, 20 Jan 2015 16:40:18 -0500
> From: Corey Sheldon <sheldon.corey at gmail.com>
> To: Development discussions related to Fedora
>         <devel at lists.fedoraproject.org>
> Subject: Re: IntelliJ
>
> intellij/IDEA  has now mostly  been folded into  AndroidStudio which while
>  not in the default repos can be obtained on the android dev d/l page  for
> linux as a .zip/tarball

Base IntelliJ is also provided as the pre-compiled Linux zip files
with all the bundled JARs inside. It would be nice to have it
installed as per the rest of the applications on a host and not
depending on a whole host of self-bundled JARs that duplicate the
system JARs. But I have no insight into IDEA's use of such JARs at
this point to know if updating them on the system side would lead to
problems in the IDE, etc.

As someone who just wants to be a consumer of IDEA and is not part of
its development ecosystem, I definitely don't want to take on the solo
task of building and maintaining the project, unbundling system JARs,
etc. But I'd be willing to work with a few others if there's multiple
people willing and able to contribute towards the packaging.

> Message: 11
> Date: Tue, 20 Jan 2015 22:58:50 +0100
> From: Julien Enselme <jujens at jujens.eu>
> To: Development discussions related to Fedora
>         <devel at lists.fedoraproject.org>
> Subject: Re: IntelliJ
>
> Hi,
>
> I also think this is a great idea. I just have a question: do you intend
> to package just the Java IDE or do you intend to include plugins for
> other languages like python (the version for python is called Pycharm
> but I guess it has the same code base than the Jave version)?
>
> BTW: there is a copr repo for Pycharm
> (https://copr.fedoraproject.org/coprs/phracek/PyCharm/). Maybe it can
> help you start.
>
> Regards,
> Julien Enselme

I haven't gotten far enough down the rabbit hole to make solid
decisions either direction with respect to such technical details. I
wanted to put out feelers to see who or what else might crop up - like
your mention of the PyCharm project. At this point, I'm not even sure
whether the plug ins can be added afterwards (e.g. if one package
could contain all the common IDE components while other sub-packages
add support for the language-specific features) or whether they're
required to compile in.

My own interest is in Java use, and possibly a smattering of PHP from
time to time (although that would be in a commercial setting, so the
community edition might not even be appropriate for the PHP work).

> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 12
> Date: Tue, 20 Jan 2015 17:55:22 -0500
> From: Yohan Graterol <yograterol at fedoraproject.org>
> To: Development discussions related to Fedora
>         <devel at lists.fedoraproject.org>
> Subject: Re: IntelliJ
>
> Hi
>
> It's a great idea, but IntelliJ (For Android and Java) need as requirement
> Oracle JDK, so, Fedora has OpenJDK. PyCharm, RubyMine and Webstorm not need
> Oracle JDK.
>
> Regards!

As of last year, running the pre-built version was possible in
OpenJDK. The system would just complain that there "might" be issues
and if there are isn't that a shame for you! Hopefully it's not the
case that there's something proprietary to the Oracle JDK that
IntelliJ relies upon. Do you have more details on what that dependency
is or where it is documented, so I can look into it before I go down
some well of despair only to find out you're correct?

> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 10
> Date: Wed, 21 Jan 2015 06:57:57 +0100
> From: Mikolaj Izdebski <mizdebsk at redhat.com>
> To: devel at lists.fedoraproject.org
> Subject: Re: IntelliJ
>
> On 01/20/2015 09:41 PM, Greg Hellings wrote:
>> I'm curious about the possibility of bringing IntelliJ/IDEA back into
>> Fedora. It was there previously, then was taken out sometime around
>> Fedora 15 or thereabouts. Back then the app was at version 9, it's
>> currently landed at version 14. With the announcement of Gradle making
>> an improved landing in Fedora 22, it might be possible to bring back
>> in. I was curious if anyone had a particular feeling strongly one way
>> or another, or if there were solid reasons not to resurrect it.
>>
>> It looks like it was a behemoth to maintain, so I don't know how
>> deeply I want to dive into it (the build involved a large number of
>> bundled jars) at this time. I just wanted to put out feelers regarding
>> it.
>
> AFAIK IntelliJ was retired because it lacked interested people to
> maintain it.  If there is someone (or better, group of people) willing
> to maintain, then I don't see a reason why it shouldn't be revived.
>
> There was some interest from a few people to have PyCharm (Python IDE
> based on IntelliJ) in Fedora, see [1]. You may want to join forces with
> them to make this happen.

Someone above pointed to a COPR repository with PyCharm in it. I'm
hoping this conversation might toggle their antennae to see if we
could join forces. I don't want to go this alone. If there's not other
traction among packagers I'll just run with the pre-built versions
JetBrains supplies. I wouldn't dare tackle a project this large, which
I'm not already an upstream part of, by myself just to scratch my own
itch!

I'd also happily take on eager beavers who are avid users of IntelliJ
to help out, even if they're not well established packagers now. I've
got a few packages under my belt, but none of them are presently Java
packages nor are any of them a whole ecosystem of plugins and such
like IntelliJ is. So I'll be fording a few new streams myself if I
resurrect this package.

> People in Java SIG (including myself) are usually quite busy with their
> current packages, but you can count on help with package reviews and
> solving problems you may encounter.
>
> In any case you may add IntelliJ to Java SIG package wishlist [2] or ask
> for volounteers on java-devel mailing list.

I've tried to add it to the page, but for some reason the wiki isn't
saving for me. It keeps bouncing me back to the edit page after trying
to save. In case there isn't enough other support among packagers now,
I'd love to get it added there so I can be roped in in the future if
someone else with more Java experience comes along to pick it up.