Taskotron misses dropped subpackages

Tim Flink tflink at redhat.com
Wed Jan 21 18:48:55 UTC 2015

On Fri, 16 Jan 2015 11:00:00 +0100
Michael Schwendt <mschwendt at gmail.com> wrote:

> Taskotron doesn't notice if subpackages have been dropped and cause
> unresolvable dependencies because they are not obsoleted anywhere.

This isn't so much something that taskotron's checks missed as it's
something we're not even checking for.

> Examples: jogl2-javadoc, miglayout-examples,
> glusterfs-regression-tests rubygem-json-doc, rubygem-rake-doc, and
> more

I don't really see the unresolvable deps here. When I run all of your
examples though 'repoquery --whatrequires', they all return nothing
which implies that nothing requires them and there are no broken dep
chains as a result of those dropped subpackages (which I suspect is
not what you'd like to see checked).

> Yum is broken in the same way. And by design. When installing a
> discontinued subpackage, it happily installs any "old" packages it
> still finds in the repos to satisfy dependencies, but it cannot
> upgrade the installation afterwards because of unsatisfied deps.

If I'm understanding correctly, your concern is about what happens at
upgrade time when those improperly obsoleted subpackages are still
installed on a system. Since they don't exist in the repos anymore,
upgrading them is impossible.

While I'm certainly not arguing that this isn't something that we
should check for, it's not really covered by any existing checks. I'm
certainly game for adding a new check for this but unless it's a bigger
problem than I think it is, I'd rather put it off until after we've
been able to land the new features we're currently working on.

Tim