Orphaning freefem++

Dominik 'Rathann' Mierzejewski dominik at greysector.net
Wed Jan 21 22:58:10 UTC 2015

Hi, Jason.

On Wednesday, 21 January 2015 at 23:46, Jason L Tibbitts III wrote:

> DM> Dear Fedora Community, I'm orphaning the freefem++ package[1] since
> DM> I don't have access to anyone that uses it and despite having an
> DM> active upstream, it's a pain to get it to build with each new
> DM> release.
>
> Crap, I have people here who rely on it.

Sorry to hear that, but it really doesn't make sense for me to keep
maintaining it myself. And I was pretty convinced that nobody is using
this package as there have been no bug reports from end-users in
bugzilla.

>  But I speak no French at all.

Well, to be honest, I was half-joking about the French part. The
developers do speak English, but there is some French traffic on
the mailing list.

> I don't really want to own it, but I may just have to bodge a local
> copy.

> When you say "each new release", do you mean each new release of Fedora,
> or each new release of freefem++?

I meant each new release of freefem++. The build process tries to
download sources for many external libraries and patches some of them,
so you have to work around it.

Regards,
Dominik
RPMFusion http://rpmfusion.org