F22 System Wide Change: GNOME 3.16

Reindl Harald h.reindl at thelounge.net
Thu Jan 22 00:11:17 UTC 2015

Am 21.01.2015 um 23:55 schrieb Yanko Kaneti:
> On Wed, 2015-01-21 at 12:26 -0600, Michael Catanzaro wrote:
>> On Wed, Jan 21, 2015 at 8:38 AM, Igor Gnatenko <
>> i.gnatenko.brain at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> + gnome-calendar
>>> btw gnome-2048 on review already
>
>> FWIW this one is not complete; maybe it will be ready for GNOME
>> 3.16, but I would expect it to be included in GNOME 3.18 instead.
>
> Its not the first and won't be the last software in Fedora that is not
> "complete". FWIW its perfectly playable. The crash on 4096 already has
> a pending patch.
>
>> I see it's already been packaged for Fedora, which is not really
>> good as it could create a poor first impression of the app for users
>> (e.g. there is no user help, no HC icon, it crashes when you get to
>> 2048). I'd rather hold off on this one until it's more mature
>> upstream.
>
> When did Fedora become the place which only welcomes mature software?
> IMHO what you seem to aspire to is somewhat in conflict with the
> release early, release often principle that is behind the  "First"
> Fedora slogan

it's nice to have recent software, but not for every price, you should
also consider the time users spend to solve problems left and right in
your calculations if something is worth to be included or better wait

frankly if i have the decision of something brand new with troubles or
something outdated doing it's daily job the decision is easy and
ressources are not only upstream and on the distribution side

ressources are also on the users side because they lose will and energy
of testing and writing bugreports if they are too much to track