DNF and mock

Dennis Gilmore dennis at ausil.us
Thu Jan 22 16:35:08 UTC 2015

On Thu, 22 Jan 2015 17:00:44 +0100
Jan Zelený <jzeleny at redhat.com> wrote:

> -- snip --
> > > I have a notion, that after branching of Fedora 22 I will change
> > >   /etc/mock/fedora-rawhide-*.cfg
> > > to use DNF by default. I.e. everything build for Fedora 23 would
> > > use DNF for building.
> >
> > This is not really true. Koji write out its own mock configs and
> > will not be using dnf for any operations. for anytime soon.  koji
> > hass no way to use different tools to install chroots we will
> > continue to use yum to install the buildroots for the foreseeable
> > future. so it would mean that locally your builds would use dnf but
> > in koji they will use yum.
>
> May I ask why? If you use mock that supports the config option Mirek
> mentioned and if you use Fedora 21 where dnf is up-to-date, are there
> any other technical issues that prevent you from switching the tool
> for some of the buildroots?

koji internally writes out mock configs for every task and it has not
mechanism to support using different backends. additionally some of the
builders are rhel6 so whatever is done has to work on rhel6 and fedora.

> > > At the outset I thought that we use yum for older targets (epel-7,
> > > fedora-22..) indefinitely. Or to be precise until those targets
> > > will be EOLed. But that would imply that yum have to be present
> > > in Fedora until Fedora 40 [1]. This is very unlikely to happen.
> > > More realistic expectation is that yum will disappear around
> > > Fedora 27 [2]. Which means that in  Fedora 27 you either will be
> > > unable to build packages for epel-7 or you will have to use DNF.
> > > This is quite distant future and we will try our best to make
> > > this transition as much flawless as possible. I just want to make
> > > you aware in advance. Of course if you want to help, you are very
> > > welcome.
> >

> > we use the same builders in fedora to go all the way back to epel5
> > and we need to ensure things still work.
>
> Again, if the conditions stated above are met, is there any other
> technical blocker that would prevent you from using different tool in
> different build root? Note that we don't propose having different
> builders. Yum and dnf can happily coexists on the same system.

it needs to work on rhel6 and would need work done in koji to support
different backends. something that is not on the roadmap at all.

Dennis