another dnf problem

Nico Kadel-Garcia nkadel at gmail.com
Fri Jan 23 04:24:16 UTC 2015

On Thu, Jan 22, 2015 at 7:24 AM, Neal Becker <ndbecker2 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Radek Holy wrote:
>
> [...]
>>
>> What actually do you want?
>>
>> I'm really interested in what users expect when they use "installonly"
>> packages in any command except "install" and "remove". I strongly believe that
>> there is a group of users that expect that "downgrade kernel" simply installs
>> an older version of kernel while at the same time there is a group of users
>> that expect also the removal of the current or the latest kernel.
>>
>> BTW, if you want just to revert the last operation, I'd suggest "history undo
>> last".
>
> What I want (and expect) is that if I install some test packages from e.g.,
> updates-testing or rawhide, that there is a simple, obvious way to go back.
>
> I suppose history undo might be the best option.

And I'd like a pony.

There are cases where an "update" also obsoletes several formerly
separate packages, and those provided dependencies for other critical
systems. You have to do a forced removal, then a re-installation of
the old packages, and the upgrade may also have migrated configuration
files to a location the old package has no clue about.

This is a case where an admin simply has to pay attention to what is happening.