amending the new package process

Kevin Kofler kevin.kofler at chello.at
Fri Jan 23 23:32:55 UTC 2015

Nikos Mavrogiannopoulos wrote:
> My experience with the new package process is that the review process in
> Step 6 doesn't work. For some of my packages it took 3 months for a
> reviewer to appear, some others more, some where reviewed faster. My
> understanding is that it depends on how interesting the package is, how
> many packagers you know, or whether you enter the review swap market.

Indeed, the review process is the main roadblock to getting things done in
Fedora.

IMHO, one easy solution to alleviate the problem would be to let experienced
packagers (ones that are provenpackagers and/or packager sponsors) import
their packages without a review (or with a self-review). We already trust
these packagers to know what they're doing, and in particular, to know the
packaging guidelines. So they should be perfectly able to verify the
compliance of their own packages on their own. Doing this would clear a
significant portion of the review queue instantly, and free up valuable
reviewer time for those packages that really do need reviewing, those coming
from new packagers.

In many Free Software projects (e.g., GCC, KDE, etc.), the people who are
allowed to approve other people's commits can also approve their own. Sure,
there are others that insist (like us) on peer review by a second person,
but those typically suffer from the same issue we do (stalled reviews all
over the place).

        Kevin Kofler