autoreconf on build

Richard W.M. Jones rjones at redhat.com
Sat Jan 24 14:14:09 UTC 2015

I notice that Debian recently [since July 2014] started to recommend
that packagers run autoreconf on build.  Their reasons are given here
and seem to be good ones:

https://wiki.debian.org/Autoreconf

In the interests of fairness I can think of two drawbacks too:

 - newer versions of (especially) automake have not always been
   improvements, and some upstreams may wish to stick with older ones

 - autoreconf is slow

Debian have probably hit most of the bugs by now, and I think this is
a good recommendation that perhaps Fedora packagers should be
encouraged to follow too.  What do you think?

Rich.