GNOME glitches in F21 - Should they be reported and against which components?

Alexander Ploumistos alex.ploumistos at gmail.com
Mon Jan 26 12:51:23 UTC 2015

Hello,

A few days ago I upgraded my main workstation to F21 and I've noticed a few
annoying glitches, but I don't know if they are all worth reporting and
against which components they should be reported.

1. Window size and position:
While some applications start with their last window size and placement,
others do not; among them, most notable is firefox. It usually starts
maximized and then switches to something like a 7:2 ratio. When it is
maximized and then unmaximized, it never returns to its original size.

2. Random rearrangement of icons on the desktop:
I have organized my current projects and things to do in a dozen folders on
my desktop, arranged in a grid. So far, this has happened to me three
times: Upon logging in, some of them were taken out of the grid and
randomly placed all over the desktop.

3. Icon inconsistencies in the message tray:
Some icons are 48x48, others 22x22 and others are not displayed at all. In
this screenshot
https://alexpl.fedorapeople.org/screenshots/gnome_message_tray.png
there are actually 8 icons: a seahorse notification that a signature was
good, solaar, dropbox (I don't know if our package is to blame or theirs),
mail-notification, spideroak, gnote, nut monitor and easystroke.
Now, I know I should report this to the maintainer of each package and some
have already been reported in BZ, but given the upcoming change to GNOME's
notification system, will these issues persist? Is it worth their time?

4. Settings migration was inconsistent:
While most of my settings from the previous version of GNOME were preserved
after the upgrade to 3.14.2, others were not; e.g. the window action key
was preserved, middle click on the titlebar to lower a window wasn't.