initscripts

Dan Williams dcbw at redhat.com
Tue Jan 27 20:25:22 UTC 2015

On Tue, 2015-01-27 at 14:50 -0500, Nico Kadel-Garcia wrote:
> On Sun, Jan 25, 2015 at 12:40 PM, Adam Williamson
> <adamwill at fedoraproject.org> wrote:
> > On Sun, 2015-01-25 at 08:49 -0500, Nico Kadel-Garcia wrote:
> >
> >> * KVM bridge configuration
> >
> > Works fine in F21+, I'm using NM on both my main desktop/test box and
> > my server VM host.
>
> Testing now on a VM, with the Fedora 21 Workstation. Getting the gui's
> to work after installation with the "Server" installation ISO than I
> could spend, even after I brought in enough debris to get a GUI
> screen.
>
> I'll also point out that with either installation, it's unusably slow,
> it's unusably slow as a VM on a 2 GHz server with a pretty good ATI
> video card and 2 Gig of RAM allocated, so that makes testing awkward
> for me. I can switch window managers to something remotely sane, but
> then I lose the complex integration that makes the NetworkManager
> configuration utilities available.

I'd also point out that there are three different NetworkManager GUIs,
and one TUI:

1) GNOME Shell network settings - not really targeted for server
environments, has a smaller set of options that are suitable for
desktop/workstation use-cases

2) nm-connection-editor - presents a larger set of options than #1, and
only modifies *saved configuration*, not runtime configuration.  eg, it
is basically a much more capable system-config-network but without the
"up/down" buttons

3) KDE's network configuration dialogs

4) nmtui - a slightly simpler version of nm-connection-editor intended
for GUI-less environments, like a more capable system-config-network-tui

#2 and #4 obviously run much better in desktop environments like LXDE,
XFCE, etc where the full GNOME stack is not available.

It's important to note which one you're talking about when suggesting
improvements, since they are developed by different projects and each
one has a different target audience.  That said, I understand it can be
confusing which one is for who and available where...

Dan