initscripts

Adam Williamson adamwill at fedoraproject.org
Tue Jan 27 20:31:16 UTC 2015

On Tue, 2015-01-27 at 14:50 -0500, Nico Kadel-Garcia wrote:

> I have to admit that I remain pretty unhappy with NetworkManager.
> It's a complex GUI on top of the underlying actual iinit scrupts, it

Um. No it isn't. I think you have fundamentally misunderstood what
NetworkManager is. You seem to be treating nm-connection-editor, a
small GUI configuration tool for NetworkManager, as if it *was*
NetworkManager.

NetworkManager is a daemon for controlling network connections. nm-
connection-editor is *one* configuration tool for it; there are many
others, and you can also configure it by editing configuration files.

NetworkManager, per se, supports KVM bridging fine. Refer to
https://www.happyassassin.net/2014/07/23/bridged-networking-for-libvirt-with-networkmanager-2014-fedora-21/ , but note that the udev rule workaround documented there is not, I
think, required with F21 final. Also note that, there, I tried to
document the GUI way of doing it via GNOME Shell to demonstrate that
it's possible; in practice, for sysadmins, I'd simply recommend doing
it with ifcfg files, as described in 'Background and details'.
Fundamentally all it needs is two ifcfg files, one for the bridge, one
for the slave interface, with a few directives in each; in fact, the
same configuration files will work for both network.service and
NetworkManager.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey