initscripts

Reindl Harald h.reindl at thelounge.net
Tue Jan 27 20:41:07 UTC 2015

Am 27.01.2015 um 21:18 schrieb Dan Williams:
> On Tue, 2015-01-27 at 20:56 +0100, Reindl Harald wrote:
>> there is a usecase for NM, surely, but not for me and not for a lot of
>> other people working professional in serious setups and tend to
>> configure personal workstations left and right as much as possible ike
>> the production environment
>>
>> frankly i have enough of "change for the sake of change" as well i won't
>> use notebooks or other "mobile devices" for serious tasks for the rest
>> of my life - period
>
> NetworkManager is not intended only for mobile devices or notebooks,
> because that's a small part of the networking story.  Plus, more than
> just notebooks have needs for the things that NetworkManager brings to
> the table.
>
> If it's useful for you, that's great.  If you do not find it useful,
> that's also fine, and it can be masked.  However, we have put great
> effort into NM so that even if it *is* enabled, it can coexist
> peacefully with whatever you do on the system outside of NM, and we are
> constantly improving this.
>
> We hope that NM can be installed on most systems, and will be there when
> required and useful, but will get out of the way when not required

i am fine with that

but i am not fine with the unacceptable attitude of the thread-starter
asking when things get removed which are mature and perfect working
because i have *zero* understanding for the "remove this and that and
replace whatever can be replaced" attitude the last recent years at all