initscripts

Scott Schmit i.grok at comcast.net
Wed Jan 28 03:20:34 UTC 2015

On Tue, Jan 27, 2015 at 02:18:31PM -0600, Dan Williams wrote:
> NetworkManager is not intended only for mobile devices or notebooks,
> because that's a small part of the networking story.  Plus, more than
> just notebooks have needs for the things that NetworkManager brings to
> the table.
>
> If it's useful for you, that's great.  If you do not find it useful,
> that's also fine, and it can be masked.  However, we have put great
> effort into NM so that even if it *is* enabled, it can coexist
> peacefully with whatever you do on the system outside of NM, and we are
> constantly improving this.
>
> We hope that NM can be installed on most systems, and will be there when
> required and useful, but will get out of the way when not required.

What's the story for NM in router configurations?

The last time I brought up handling DHCPv6-PD (a strong non-laptop use
case for NM if I ever saw one), I was told that router configurations
were out of scope for NM (at least, at that point in time).

Has that changed? (Or maybe I'm misremembering some nuance...)

--
Scott Schmit