GUI applications writing garbage to stdout/stderr

Ian Malone ibmalone at gmail.com
Wed Jan 28 10:34:05 UTC 2015

On 27 January 2015 at 19:10, Przemek Klosowski
<przemek.klosowski at nist.gov> wrote:
> On 01/27/2015 07:03 AM, Bastien Nocera wrote:
>
> All those are warnings, not "garbage" or debug output. File bugs about
> those, there should be zero warnings in normal usage.
>
> Shouldn't they trigger abrt then? more importantly, is it possible to
> capture that in the QA process during distribution composition? I believe a
> lot of those warnings aren't environment dependent, but rather would appear
> in a generic installation, so it would be appropriate to detect them early
> and take some corrective action---either block them or at least log bugs.

Warnings should not cause an application to crash, which IIUC is what
abrt is supposed to pick up on. Ideally you should have no warnings,
in practice lots of them may not have any symptoms that affect the
user and be relevant to the developer instead.

--
imalone
http://ibmalone.blogspot.co.uk