Filing Bugs for Python 3 Switch

Josh Boyer jwboyer at fedoraproject.org
Thu Jan 29 13:06:04 UTC 2015

On Thu, Jan 29, 2015 at 7:38 AM, Miloslav Trmač <mitr at redhat.com> wrote:
> (Speaking only for myself, not for all of FESCo; hoping others will chime in.)
>> - What if Anaconda does make it? :)
> I don’t know.

I'm skeptical that will happen.  Even if it does, that alone is likely
not enough to claim python3 by default.  You need all the basic
functionality to work with pthon3, e.g. yum and dnf would also need to
be ported.

>> - What is "enough"? It's possible that two or three packages may be still
>> unported even in F23 (and as for server livecd in F23, I think there will be
>> few more).
> 2-3 packages should not be an issue, perhaps unless they were very visible (e.g. having a public and widely-used Python plugin API).
>
>> - So is it ok if I file bugs for all components that I know are
>> upstream-compatible with Python 3 (bugs to get them switched, I mean)?
>
> If we are shipping both Python versions anyway, and the specific packages are known to be compatible (i.e. there little risk), I don’t see any reason not to switch them already in F22.

I agree with everything Mirek said, as well as his take on the FESCo reasoning.

We'd really like to see this happen, we don't want to slow down the
work.  We just don't feel F22 is a release that is going to accurately
reflect the python3 as default status.

josh