Filing Bugs for Python 3 Switch

Kevin Fenzi kevin at scrye.com
Fri Jan 30 19:15:22 UTC 2015

On Fri, 30 Jan 2015 04:44:19 -0500 (EST)
Bohuslav Kabrda <bkabrda at redhat.com> wrote:

> I just had a quick IRC chat with DNF maintainer and he said we still
> wants to switch to py3 for F22.

Lovely.

Perhaps we could get the dnf folks, anaconda, qa and fesco all together
in one place to discuss this?

> > We will not be replacing python2 entirely, it and packages that
> > depend on it will still be available for now.
>
> Doesn't [1] say it?

Fair enough. I looked for that wording and didn't see it. ;(

> Yeah, as noted by Stephen Smoogen, I think the problem is
> communication here. Judging from reactions of people who I talked to,
> everyone takes it as "FESCo thinks that Python 3 is not ready and not
> the way to go right now". That's also what I thought when I read
> simple "defer this to F23". After these conversations here I'm
> starting to understand that this is not a message that FESCo meant to
> send. "Python 3 migration improvements" sounds about right to me and
> seems to send a better message than just deferring to F23. Can
> someone from FESCo comment on this? If this sounds ok, shall I create
> a change page for it?

I'm personally in favor of that, but I'm also in favor of deferring the
dnf and anaconda python3 changes. But thats just IMHO.

> As I noted above, DevAssistant devels have been using python3-dnf for
> quite some time now without any issues. I've written couple of
> scripts using python3-dnf and run them regularly without any issue. I
> even replaced "#!/usr/bin/python" by "!#/usr/bin/python3"
> in /usr/bin/dnf some time ago and everything still works (how ugly is
> that? :)). I know, that's not extensive testing, but it's certainly
> not zero.

ok. Fair enough. Some small amount of testing. :)

It's not at all the same scale as: "Been in fedora for years and we
have asked people to test it a bunch for the last few years".

I'm using dnf-3 here now and haven't hit any dnf-3 specific bugs, but
that again is a small sample size.

> > * anconda switches to python3 (it's almost ready, but no telling
> > what issues we will hit, it's not even landed yet).
> >
> > Should we toss in a UI redesign so we can have Fedora 18 again?
> > (sorry, that was rude of me)
>
> Why not :)

You weren't here for Fedora 18 were you? ;)

> I'd say we should leave this up to developers of DNF and Anaconda.
> They're the best ones to say whether they're ready or not.

I suppose so, but I think we should also take into account QA and
others input.

kevin