dnssec-trigger + GNOME + NetworkManager integration

Reindl Harald h.reindl at thelounge.net
Thu Jul 2 00:38:25 UTC 2015

Am 02.07.2015 um 02:13 schrieb Michael Catanzaro:
> On Thu, 2015-07-02 at 00:44 +0200, Reindl Harald wrote:
>> the more important question: who do gnome developers think they are
>> make such decisions?
>
> Hi Reindl,
>
> If you know enough about TLS to decide whether to click the Load Anyway
> button in your browser on a particular site, or enough about DNSSEC to
> know whether you want to disable validation, then congratulations: you
> are the 1%. That's great, but we are building an operating system that
> needs to be safe to use for the 99%. An operating system that requires
> users to make confusing security-related decisions is not safe to use.
> Constructing such an operating system is not ethical.

oh and because i know enough you will make it impossible for me too
instead describe the implications and in the best case lead users to a
wiki page so that there will be more users knowing about in the future?

> If you know what a session cookie is, that clicking the Load Anyway
> button in your browser leaks it to attackers, and why that matters,
> then you are the privileged minority, and our software is not designed
> for you alone. Our free software will respect users -- the entire user
> population, not just the 1% -- or it will be bullshit [1].
>
> I don't expect you to agree with me on this, but there you have it. :)

i am the the privileged minority because i come before developers
treated their users like idiots - if i would start these days working
with computers i likely would not have the chance to become interested
due the "hide anything attitude"