Mass bug filing proposal - switching to Python3

Robert Kuska rkuska at redhat.com
Thu Jul 2 11:46:41 UTC 2015

----- Original Message -----

We aim for all Python applications. Currently we have only list of applications
shipped on live-cd, but of course we will also post the list of all applications.
Is it needed to post the list along with the mass bug filing proposal?

To defend the need of filing against all applications:
At the most recent fesco meeting fesco members agreed to accept our Python3
as default change but under different name as they believe that calling Python3
the default interpreter in Fedora is misleading as the Fedora infra, packaging tools
and many others applications which ain't covered by our change still need Python2
to run. To address their concerns we've decided to pursue the usage of Python3 across
all Fedora packages (where possible).

Currently Python3 is the default interpreter in a sense of packaging only
but we would like to make it the default for Fedora as whole and this
mass bug filing is just a one of the milestones.

> Vít
>

> > Bug description proposal follows:
> >
> > With the recent change in packaging and upcoming system wide
> > change 'Python3 as default' Fedora is switching from using Python2
> > interpreter as default to Python3. This means that all applications
> > accessible through default Fedora repositories running or using Python
> > should run on/use Python3.
> >
> > FAQ:
> >
> > Q: How do I know if my application is using Python?
> > A: If this bug is filled against your application it is using Python
> > yet mistakes happen so if your application does not use Python (and you
> > double checked on that) please close this bug with a comment stating that.
> >
> > Q: How to switch to Python3?
> > A: First, make sure that upstream supports Python3. Next switch
> > all macros to its python3 equivalents[0] and change all shebangs
> > using python or python2 to use python3, also replace all the dependencies
> > python2 dependencies. If stuck contact the reporter.
> >
> > Q: What if upstream doesn't support Python3?
> > A: Don't switch to python3, open a bug in upstream asking to support
> > Python3,
> > help upstream with porting to Python3 (optional) and leave the fedora bug
> > opened
> > for tracking. Bug should be closed once the Python3 support is added.
> >

> > [0]https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging:Python#Macros
> >
> > Bug description ends.
> >

> > --
> > Robert Kuska