Do appdata files installed by a package do anything?

Richard Hughes hughsient at gmail.com
Fri Jul 3 11:15:09 UTC 2015

On 3 July 2015 at 06:29, Florian Weimer <fweimer at redhat.com> wrote:
> Any file change would be invisible until the appstream-data package
> contents is regenerated, right?  I suspect that's what causes testing
> challenges.

You can prefer local files over the distro-supplied data using:

killall gnome-software
gnome-software --prefer-local

We prefer the distro-provided data for a few reasons:

* the screenshots come from the mirrors, not upstream
* we replace or add a few things to certain packages
* it takes ages to stat and then load a lot of small files rather than
slurping one large .gz blob.

If you want to override the screenshot, you can either patch the
.appdata.xml in the spec file like any normal file, or you can use the
F22+ command in the spec file:

appstream-util replace-screenshots /path/to/appdata.xml
http://new-screenshot.png

Hope that helps,

Richard.