F23 System Wide Change: jQuery

T.C. Hollingsworth tchollingsworth at gmail.com
Sun Jul 5 22:34:22 UTC 2015

On Mon, Jun 29, 2015 at 6:58 AM, Stephen Gallagher <sgallagh at redhat.com> wrote:
> That doesn't really help, since the main advantage to this Change
> Proposal is having a single package to update when fixes are needed,
> but nearly all web applications take pieces of jQuery out and minify
> them (taking only the parts they need in order to reduce download and
> processing time to speed up execution).
>
> By making this change, it means that the size of the jQuery files that
> the user will have to download will be larger, resulting in performance
> issues. (Since the minification and zipping will happen in the jQuery
> package and be carrying the complete set of instructions).

jQuery really doesn't support being split up like this.  It is a
common practice with other JS libraries, though, like Modernizr.

As I mentioned in my reply to Stef, this is still allowed by the new
guidelines, you just have to use Fedora sources not bundled sources
when you do it.  It also needs to be tracked just like any other
static library in the distribution.

-T.C.