octave 4.0.0

Kevin Kofler kevin.kofler at chello.at
Tue Jul 7 21:44:03 UTC 2015

Hi,

---- Orion Poplawski <orion at cora.nwra.com> wrote:
> On 07/07/2015 03:10 AM, José Matos wrote:
> > On Monday 06 July 2015 14:20:20 Orion Poplawski wrote:
> >> qtoctave-0.10.1-17.fc22.src.rpm
> >
> > Why is this still being built?
> >
> > Upstream has been abandoned. And some of the code has migrated/inspired octave GUI so qtoctave is no more relevant or useful and it should be retired. The introduction of octave 4.0 seems to be the right time for the retirement.
> >
> > My proposal is to not rebuild qtoctave an to retire it for rawhide.
> >
> > Regards,
> >

> I strongly agree.

I am one of the comaintainers of the qtoctave package. I know the package is
dead upstream. But last I checked, it worked. (There had been some issues, but I
fixed those that I found.) If it still works fine, I object to retiring it.

That said, I admit I haven't had the occasion to try the new Octave GUI yet. It
may or may not be an adequate replacement for all users.

        Kevin Kofler