[Guidelines change] Changes to the packaging guidelines

Stephen Gallagher sgallagh at redhat.com
Thu Jul 9 15:22:00 UTC 2015

On Wed, 2015-07-08 at 20:13 -0500, Jason L Tibbitts III wrote:
> Here are the recent changes to the packaging guidelines.  Note that
> there is also a set of Python guideline changes pending which I will
> send in a separate announcement.
>
> -----
>
> Guidelines for making use of weak dependencies (Recommends:,
> Suggests:,
> etc.) have been added.
>
>  *https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging:WeakDependencies
>  *https://fedorahosted.org/fpc/ticket/531

Is there any case to allow Supplements: in the Fedora Collection? It
seems to me like this could be problematic. (e.g. I write a plugin for
a popular engine and package it, then add Supplements: so that it gets
pulled in by default whenever that engine is installed. My plugin then
causes things to crash.) I think it is reasonable for us to forbid
Supplements: except with FPC exemption. It should be up to the owner of
the primary package to decide to add Recommends: instead.