[Fedora-legal-list] [RFC] Switching to SPDX in license tags

Josh Boyer jwboyer at fedoraproject.org
Thu Jul 9 17:07:33 UTC 2015

On Thu, Jul 9, 2015 at 12:15 PM, Haïkel <hguemar at fedoraproject.org> wrote:
>> On Thu, Jul 09, 2015 at 04:41:00PM +0200, Haďkel wrote:
>>> From my PoV, the abbreviation system is already an improvement,
>>> if it's commonly shared with other distros (and Suse already switched to it).
>>
>> I don't see how it's an improvement if the underlying meaning of the
>> abbreviations is not standardized. Does "BSD" as an abbreviation mean
>> the same thing in Suse as it does in Fedora? I don't know but I am
>> skeptical.
>>

> If it weren't then it would have no meaning at all.
> A nomenclature has no interest if there's no common definition!

Which is _exactly_ the problem Richard, Spot, and Adam have conveyed.
SPDX and common opensource nomenclature do not match at all and
switching to SPDX runs a very real risk of making things even more
confusing.

Haikel, you have said several times that you wanted the input of
Fedora legal.  You have gotten responses from both the main Fedora
legal contact point (Spot) and an actual lawyer (Richard, whom would
likely advise that he is not giving legal advice) that making this
change would not be beneficial.  I suggest we lean on their expertise
and let this idea go.

josh