RPM Weak Dependencies and the install media compose process

Michael Catanzaro mcatanzaro at gnome.org
Fri Jul 10 12:56:18 UTC 2015

On Fri, 2015-07-10 at 08:20 -0400, Josh Boyer wrote:
> You didn't offer your opinion on which of the three options you think
> we should go with.  I would offer option 1 is the one we'd pick.  It
> honors the intentions of the package maintainer the best.  Which
> would
> you choose?

Option 2 is just weird. If a packager uses Suggests to express a
dependency, that means the dependency should not be installed
automatically. If packagers have to think "is my package installed by
default and if so would it be bad to have this Suggested package
installed as well," that's going to make Suggests much less useful.

Option 3 would increase the need to manually add missing packages that
we actually want. For instance, we currently have evince-browser-plugin
listed in comps for Workstation as a workaround for not being able to
use Recommends in Evince's spec. If we go with Option 3, we'll need to
keep it there forever. If a package shouldn't be installed by default
with another package, then Recommends should not have been used!

I think Option 1 is the best, so that package maintainers don't have to
think separately about the difference between install media compose and
normal package installation..