Sponsor shortage

Michael Schwendt mschwendt at gmail.com
Fri Jul 10 16:32:37 UTC 2015

On Fri, 10 Jul 2015 14:31:52 +0100, Jonathan Underwood wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Today I happened to look at this page:
>
> http://fedoraproject.org/PackageReviewStatus/NEEDSPONSOR.html
>
> from which I can see we have potentially on the order of 100 new
> potential contributors to Fedora whose efforts we're missing out on
> due to a lack of sponsors. Some people seem to have been waiting to be
> sponsored for a couple of years. This is quite an unfortunate
> situation - what can we do to improve that situation? How many
> *active* packaging sponsors do we currently have?

How many *active* NEEDSPONSOR contributors do we have?

There are many in the queue, who submit a single package with lots of
mistakes -- or the package not building at all -- and slow response
times in bugzilla, or no response, and who don't follow the How To Get
Sponsored guidelines either. With a bit more activity, it would be
easier to get sponsored. But sponsoring someone based on a single
package is a hard decision. I'd like to see more motivation from new
packagers, as pushing packages through review often is much easier
than maintaining the package in the Fedora dist for some time.