Improving our processes for new contributors.

Bruno Wolff III bruno at wolff.to
Sun Jul 12 18:27:27 UTC 2015

On Sat, Jul 11, 2015 at 22:38:38 +0100,
  Jonathan Underwood <jonathan.underwood at gmail.com> wrote:

>2) We now have the possibility of obtaining sponsorship through
>co-maintaining packages, but that's somewhat low profile and less used
>as a route to sponsorship (just an impression-I have no data on this).

I think this is where we should be concentrating. We have lots of existing
packages where help is needed and we don't need as much new stuff and
some of the new stuff we need is too hard for new packagers to take on.
Helping existing packagers will help prevent burn out and can free up
some of our expert packagers' time from doing lots of easy stuff to
tackle some more of the hard stuff.

One way to do this that is a varient on some other suggestions, is to
have would be co-maintainers do re-reviews of packages they are
interested in co-maintaining. Spec files can gain cruft or not be
kept fully compliant with the latest rules and some who can spot stuff
that should be fixed is demonstrating their ability to package and
helping out (assuming they don't make too many mistakes) at the same time.