Is %autosetup another unwanted baby of Fedora?

Marcin Juszkiewicz mjuszkiewicz at redhat.com
Mon Jul 13 12:39:57 UTC 2015

Hi

When I moved to Fedora after years of doing Debian packages I noticed
that there is no such thing as patch management when it comes to Fedora
packages. Everyone is using %patch macro with files of random patchlevel
(some even use reverse patches).

%autosetup was created to handle that but probably less than 5% of
packages use it. Why?

Is it because no one told that it exists? Or maybe because
implementation has some issues which no one wants to fix? Or other (I
exclude laziness of package maintainers)?