Is %autosetup another unwanted baby of Fedora?

Björn Persson Bjorn at xn--rombobjrn-67a.se
Mon Jul 13 14:50:44 UTC 2015

Marcin Juszkiewicz wrote:
> When I moved to Fedora after years of doing Debian packages I noticed
> that there is no such thing as patch management when it comes to
> Fedora packages. Everyone is using %patch macro with files of random
> patchlevel (some even use reverse patches).
>
> %autosetup was created to handle that but probably less than 5% of
> packages use it. Why?

autosetup is still fairly new. It's been only half a year since it was
announced that a mention had been added to the Packaging Guidelines,
which was probably when I first heard of it. Could it be that
maintainers don't see a pressing need to change their working packages
just for the sake of introducing autosetup, but have slowly begun using
it when they're overhauling the spec and patches anyway?

Björn Persson