Proposal: Drop comps

Vít Ondruch vondruch at redhat.com
Tue Jul 14 10:23:45 UTC 2015

Dne 14.7.2015 v 11:49 Neal Gompa napsal(a):
> On Tue, Jul 14, 2015 at 4:13 AM, Vít Ondruch <vondruch at redhat.com <mailto:vondruch at redhat.com>>wrote: > >
> Can we just drop comps entirely (or at least trim them down
> significantly)? I know that this will not happen from day to day, but
> I see the comps just as an ugly workaround for missing weak
> dependencies, which we have now.
>

> Vít
>

> > > If we did that, we'd need to switch to some other means of grouping
packages. ​Borrowing a bit from how the Debian/Ubuntu folks do things,
probably massive virtual packages/metapackages would work well for this
purpose. ​Or perhaps a "type" of package that defines groups to provide
a similar function to metapackages without requiring garbage empty
tarballs.
One advantage of comps/groups was that it allowed to uninstall
particular packages, where if you used Require at the same place, it
would be all or nothing. For example, rubyonrails group would be better
to express by Suggests dependencies then to have the group in comps. Not
mentioning that Gnome Software can handle meta package while it does not
handle groups (if I am not mistaken).

Vít