Proposal: Drop comps

Ralf Corsepius rc040203 at freenet.de
Wed Jul 15 08:51:41 UTC 2015

On 07/15/2015 10:20 AM, Vít Ondruch wrote:

> Description and Summary can be localized in .spec file [1], where
> supposedly "names" in comps terminology refers to "summary" in .spec
> terminology. Including translations is encouraged in guidelines as well
> [2, 3], unfortunately without any further details :/

I don't think localized summaries and descriptions are applicable in
distributions like Fedora, where packages are maintained by individuals.

IMO, making localized summaries/descrs. helpful would require a
multilingal team of translators/packagers, whose sole task it would have
to be to add translations for a predefined set of languages to maintain
them.

That said, I don't consider random packagers adding random translations
to packages to be useful and to cause more problems than they solve.

Ralf