Improving our processes for new contributors.

Michael Schwendt mschwendt at gmail.com
Wed Jul 15 16:05:39 UTC 2015

On Wed, 15 Jul 2015 11:05:40 -0400, Przemek Klosowski wrote:

> I do understand where you're coming from: the Fedora workflow is quite
> complicated

What exactly do you find "quite complicated"?
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Package_Review_Process

> ... and learning it sometimes feels like drinking from a
> firehose. Moreover, the setup evolves and sometimes one ends up drinking
> from the wrong firehose :).

Which is not specific to the review process or the How To Get Sponsored
procedure.

> When I looked into packaging, I found extensive documentation but very
> few tutorial-style materials. I like the hands-on approach so I wrote a
> 'user story' about packaging a simple project:
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/How_to_create_a_GNU_Hello_RPM_package
>
> I think this is a good approach, and could be extended to describe a
> complete submission process (adding the package in COPR, applying for
> maintainership, reviewing, etc).  Anyone wants to collaborate on that?

Well, watching all the people that somehow manage to submit new
packages into the review queue, the process up to that point can't be
too bad, and one can safely assume they would be perfectly capable of
submitting them into Copr, too. But do they want that? Do they want to
create a personal repository where users likely don't find the packages?
Or do they prefer inclusion of the packages in the "official" Fedora
package collection?